Celebrate Chanukah with Fried Ice Cream
Recipe Contributor: www.OverTimeCook.com
Photography and styling: Miriam Pascal
- 56 oz. Tub Klein’s Classic Treat Vanilla Supreme Ice Cream
- 3 Cups crushed corn flakes*
- 1 ½ Cups vanilla sandwich cookie crumbs*
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- Canola oil, for frying
- Scoop the Klein’s ice cream into large scoops (this is best done with a large ice cream scooper) and place in a 9x13 pan. Freeze for one hour, until ice cream scoops are firm.
- Meanwhile, prepare the coating: combine crushed corn flakes, cookie crumbs and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Remove the frozen ice cream scoops from the freezer. Dip each scoop into the crumb mixture, then into the beaten eggs, and then back into the crumb mixture. Make sure that the ice cream is completely covered in crumbs. As you work, you can form the scoops into neat balls. Work quickly so they don’t melt too much.
- Place the coated ice cream balls back into the freezer for 2 hours, until the balls are completely firm.
- When ready to fry the ice cream: heat about 3 inches of oil in a small pot to 400°F.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer seconds before frying. Do not let it sit out at all, or it will get too soft. Working with one ice cream ball at a time, gently lower it into the hot oil. Fry it for about 30 seconds until golden brown. Do not fry too long. Serve immediately, while the crumb coating is hot and crunchy, but the ice cream is still frozen. Optional: garnish with whipped cream and chocolate syrup.